The May Long-Weekend:
The four days we 'long' for during the thaws and freezings of April.
Hoping that this weekend will bring sunshine and warm days which will linger for the next 4 months.
Hoping that our trips to the garden markets will not be in vain - that no late frost will touch our precious seedlings, cool our seed so they will not germinate, and that the already glorious blooms we have purchased in an effort to bring colour to our yards will continue to bloom all summer long.
Today started with a pleasant trip on our vespas to the farmer's market where we sat in the sun and had breakfast - coffee and muffin. Then we were off to purchase our usual supplies - bread, muffins, tomatoes, and cucumbers. We meandered home stopping to sit by the river, then visiting the art supply shop to pick up a watercolour painting pad - very handy for sketches such as this one which I did before work one morning this week. I love to sit by the river and I thought it might be good to sketch the Victoria or Traffic Bridge as they recently named it, before it is dismantled.
![]() |
| A rather rough sketch of the bridge and far shore while sitting above the walkways at river landing. |
Now, as I sit here a cool air is coming through the window, my face and lips still feel the effects of sun and wind, and I feel like it has been a day well spent. I did not need to plan, I did not need to 'think', I did not read or figure things out - quite simply, my mind rested and for that I was grateful. Sometimes my mind says, "Enough!" and an unease settles in until I can find that place where silence reigns and where I find myself at home in nature.
"Those who dwell among the
beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of
life"
~ Rachel Carson
~ Rachel Carson
“To be rooted is perhaps the most important and least recognized need of the human soul.”
~ Simone Weil![]() |
| Canada Geese in a flooded slough. |
![]() |
| Where the prairie changes to the rolling parklands...just north of Turtleford |
A Quote I read earlier this week and am including, just because it is one of the many quotes which say things which I 'think' but don't know how to 'say' and because it causes me to ponder and pondering, like relaxing in nature, is good for the soul.
“I think there is no suffering
greater than what is caused by the doubts of those who want to believe. I know
what torment this is, but I can only see it, in myself anyway, as the process
by which faith is deepened. A faith that just accepts is a child's faith and
all right for children, but eventually you have to grow religiously as every
other way, though some never do.
What people don't realize is how
much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course
it is the cross. It is much harder to believe than not to believe. If you feel
you can't believe, you must at least do this: keep an open mind. Keep it open
toward faith, keep wanting it, keep asking for it, and leave the rest to God. ”
The Habit of Being: Letters of Flannery O'Connor, Flannery O'Connor




Beautiful, Laurel! This part made me sigh, because right now life has turned busy:
ReplyDelete"...it has been a day well spent. I did not need to plan, I did not need to 'think', I did not read or figure things out - quite simply, my mind rested and for that I was grateful. Sometimes my mind says, "Enough!" and an unease settles in until I can find that place where silence reigns and where I find myself at home in nature."
Enjoy the lovely prairie spring!