Thursday, May 8, 2014

Today's Sketches

It has been tough to settle down and paint recently but I went to art group today so 'had to come up with something!'  Today's sketches are done but very different from each other and definitely only sketches.

The watercolour was done at our "group" where sometimes I have a hard time concentrating with all the chatter [which is always great but… unless I plan ahead, what I end up with is a surprise] and today I did not plan ahead. I cut off the top of the sky because it was "too busy" but wanted to keep the centre part because I do like the glow in the sky. I'm getting more familiar with producing this type of glow which I think is important in watercolour.




Then mid afternoon I did this acrylic on watercolour paper.  I was told that you could paint with acrylics on watercolour paper and decided to try it on a watercolour that did not turn out.  I had washed off the watercolour a few days back and it was dry so I painted over it!  The result is rather bright and hopefully 'impressionistic' and a huge contrast to the watercolour above which was done on a hot pressed paper which is very smooth and soft. The acrylic is on a heavy rough paper.    




2 comments:

  1. Well done! They're both beautiful. I especially like the luminous sky. (And a Happy Mother's Day!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vi:) and a happy Mother's Day to you as well. I hope your hip has mended well and you are out and about now the weather is a bit warmer.

      Delete